Monday, March 24, 2008

Happy Easter: The family comes to visit!

This weekend was great! Not only was it Easter (which I love), but my family came to visit me too! None of them but my dad have ever been to DC (and he hasn't been for quite some time) so I was able to take them around and show them all the fun sites. We accomplished quite a bit in their short time here...a lot of walking of course, which the bros weren't too fond of, but it was good exercise and we saw a lot!

Friday was their first full day here and of course we had to go do the important things in DC. We went to the Supreme Court and heard the lecture there about the main chamber...it was really interesting (again haha) and I think the boys liked it too! Then we walked to all the monuments-even TJeff and FDR-and my family had their first metro experience...I think they are still confused by it! It does take awhile getting used to though, so I will give them that. We had a pretty nice day to do all that walking...just a bit windy...but we all ended up getting sunburned, go figure.

Saturday was a new adventure for me too...we thought it was going to rain, but it ended up just being a little bit cloudy and cold, so we decided to venture to Arlington National Cemetery. It was really really interesting and exciting to see...it really put things into perspective too...and the history there is amazing! We took a tour mobile-bus thing around and heard all of the different stories and information about the different monuments and grave sites...it was very cool. One of my favorite parts was going to see the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown. The first time we saw it we were pretty far away, but my dad had us stay and we saw it up close the second time...very neat! After the tour, we walked a bit to see the Iwo Jima memorial-which was fascinating to see-and it was HUGE...I didn't realize the statue was that big.


After our trip there we went to Georgetown and walked around the campus...we picked up a few things at the book store too! (sadly, however, the Hoyas lost the next day to Davidson...sad) We went to dinner at a restaurant called 5-Guys, which has some amazing burgers and fries (recommend it to anyone going to DC)

Sunday was EASTER! We got up early and went to mass because later that day we were going to THE WEST WING! Yes, I know! I've officially been to the White House THREE times...and I can't believe how lucky I've been to have all of these opportunities. It was a gorgeous day...I think the nicest one (well, Monday was nice too I suppose)...flowers were blooming in the Rose Garden and we even caught a glimpse of the president's dogs! My entire family had a great time there...they were all very intrigued by everything...I think my mom and dad were the most amazed by it...my mom wants to come back and see the other side of the White House...so next time they visit (which they claim will be when I have a "paying job") we'll have to go.



We had a great Easter-very unique I would say...and we got our Christmas card picture taken care of early this year! Monday I took the day off work to hang out with the fam some more! We decided again that it was supposed to rain so we would go to the museums...it ended up not raining, but we went anyway. We walked to the Museum of Natural History first...the dinosaurs were awesome, but my absolute favorite part was the jewel collection they have there. I aspire to own half of that collection one day (a girl can dream, right?)...the favorite thing I saw there was a crown from Napoleon that he had given to his wife...amazing (I think my favorite word in this blog is amazing...so I apologize for its frequent use!)

Today I had work, so my family investigated DC on their own...we met for dinner at Tortilla Coast (right by the RNC actually!) and had a great dinner...it was such a fun weekend and a great Easter...it made me realize how glad I am to be going home for the summer...I love DC and I would love to come back someday and work, but I am definitely excited to be spending a few months in the STL! Miss you all-remember...write me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hear the stories and see the pics.....

Uncle Mogan

PS....if you get a chance....watch PBS Frontline doc about Bush and Iraq....think its called Bushs'War....not pro right or left.....just saying

Love ya

Anonymous said...

Katie,
Loved the pics of you and your family--everyone looks great! Can't believe how big your brothers are... Did you know my mom is buried at Arlington?(Near the visitor center--great view of Wahington Monument :) Hoping you and Cait can go there when she is in town. I am so jealous of your mom seeing the White House etc.! Love, Mrs. W