Friday, April 18, 2008

My future home...after I live in the White House...

Today was great! First off, the weather was really nice-82 degrees and sunny, so an excellent day to be outside. Our class took a trip to Mount Vernon, which i loved! It took us awhile to make it there; we had to take the metro to the end of the yellow line, then jump on a bus for about a half hour.

Once we made it there, we walked up around the property towards the mansion. The home is gorgeous, and the land is even prettier! I'd always heard that Mount Vernon had amazing grounds and I would have to say that I agree 100%! We waited in line for a bit to go tour the main house...but we had fun taking pictures and just seeing everything that was around the area. Once we got inside, I was blown away by how beautiful everything was. The main dining room was my favorite I think-I loved how it was decorated and how unique everything was...I would love to have my house look like that some day.


We saw the rest of the house-we even got to see the actual bed that Washington died in (a little morbid I suppose but still really cool)...then we decided to walk down to the old tomb and the new tomb. The old tomb (also called the 'family vault') was this old brick shed-like structure that Washington was originally buried in. It had a great view of the Potomac River, but was kind of falling apart so I see why he wanted to be moved. A short walk away from the old tomb is the new tomb where he and Martha are actually buried. It was a very humbling experience to see it and something I'm glad I got to do before I left DC.


The next part of our journey involved a trek down to the wharf which made me super excited for the summer and big bodies of water. We walked through the forests and farmland located on the grounds too, and by the time we had completed those activities we were pretty worn out. So we hopped on the bus for the long journey back.

This weekend will be like last weekend-I have a lot of homework to do between now and Friday, so it'll be taking it easy and enjoying the pretty weather! Next weekend we are going to Philadelphia to see Independence Hall-I am SO excited for that so it'll be a good blog post for sure. Miss you all...only 3 weeks left...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

need an update...it's been a while!
Mom