Friday, April 11, 2008

Senator Pitts is home!

So this weekend will be pretty chill, since my past 3 weeks have been insane (but so fun!)...but today was pretty sweet. Fridays are class days...today we had a mandatory speaker, so we traveled into the downtown area to meet with Barry Schumacher who is VP of APCO Worldwide, and does lobbying and government relations for some pretty big clients. He talked to us about the lobbying profession and how he got to where he is now. It was incredibly fascinating, and put some bugs into my ears about a possible future in that profession. I'd always thought about it, but I'd never really knew anyone who actually made a living from lobbying. But after hearing what he gets to do, and how he succeeded in it, makes me wonder if its something I'd love to do too!!


Well, after our speaker, one of my housemates who works for Senator Harkin took us on a tour of the Capitol! SO cool...we got to see some of the Senate buildings-which some of my housemates take for granted being in all the time...but I was extraordinarily excited to see it all! Oh, ps, they have a gift shop in the basement of the Senate buildings too...so I had to buy something!!! Then we went and saw everything the Capitol has to offer. We went to the crypt, the dome, Statuary Hall, saw all the important hallways and interesting architecture...my favorite place besides the dome was probably the Old Supreme Court Chambers...to see where John Marshall sat and heard cases was really cool! Maybe my high school dream of becoming a senator will actually come true?? Who knows?!




I can now say I've "seen" all 3 branches of government! Luke gave us all passes to get into the Senate chambers sometime when its in session, which I will definitely use. After experiencing all I have so far, its overwhelming how much I want to do with my life. I felt so "at home" at the Capitol and in those Senate offices. It was incredible to feel all the power that existed in those buildings just walking around the hallways! Who knows what I'll end up doing when I graduate, but I know that I'd be happy working for the government in that type of setting. I also love the RNC...which is a completely different experience with government. Its all given me a lot to think about, thats for sure.

3 comments:

h co said...

so, what does one find in a senate gift shop? life sized cardboard cutouts of your favorite senator? you could get one of those to go with george! or do they just have senate wall posters to hang in your bedroom to motivate you haha...i'm curious to hear what they might have...

Anonymous said...

Kate-I am both so excited and so proud of you-remember I will come visit often if you do end up in DC!
The possibilities for you are endless-go for it!!!
Love,Mom

Anonymous said...

KP,
I have to agree with your Mom(I kinda have to since she is my big sis) Your possibilities are endless and all of them are positive. Whatever possibility you go for will be GREAT! As Paw Paw would say in his favorite language, CARPE DIEM!!!!
Love what you are doing,
U.M